The word primal evokes the idea of basic essentials, something that’s intrinsic and elemental. Kitchens today, are often an open-concept affair with the dining/living room all within view. There is often an island that serves as a workstation and for entertaining ~ sometimes at the same time. This kind of kitchen can be the beating heart of your home.
I wrote a couple of weeks ago about this colourful time of local fruits, vegetable and flowers all around us, making this THE perfect time to focus on your kitchen, to engage in easy entertaining.
Here is the post in case you missed it. https://www.lucydesign.co/harvest/
Some things to consider:
- make displays of loved utensils
- consider sturdy shelves laden with a mass of plates and pans ready for action
- take a door or two off the upper cabinets and openly display collected pottery you use on a regular basis
- incorporate warmth with slabs of wood, marble or stone ~ even in the form of serving boards
- other materials such as zinc, and handmade tiles feel less finished and do not stay perfect over time, which adds to your kitchen charm.
This is really about thinking of your kitchen as a workshop!
I encourage you to follow the ideology that an intentional environment can liberate individuality and your potential. The space you create is meant to foster a relief from the external pressures of daily life. So consider the materials, the colours and any added details you use as a reflection of you personal story.